Tuesday, July 29, 2008

tin machine


tin machine
Originally uploaded by tonbabydc
A poor man's Pixies. (Or, more to the point, a very, very, very, wealthy British man's Pixies).

This was on the Tin Machine II tour. It may not have been Bowie's finest moment, but it certainly wasn't his worst, either. In fact, the older I get, the more I recognize that the Tin Machine experiment was a leap forward for Bowie as an artist and a creatively curious force.

After the show, my longtime concert buddy, Fran the Man, wasn't looking where he was going and knocked over a police barricade that was closing off the street where the band would exit the theater. Because I'm a totally awesome friend, I just kept trucking down the street as though I didn't know who he was.

We saw the band leave that night -- Bowie pressed his face against the van window and waved to everyone. We jumped up and down and waved and giggled.

Like. Little. Girls.

No comments: