Thursday, August 7, 2008

stones - opening night voodoo

Opening night of the Voodoo Lounge tour. I think Counting Crows opened, but I'm not positive on that one. I know we missed them, whoever they were.
This was my second time seeing the Stones, and there was some massive drama between my friends because not everyone could sit together. (seriously, what a bunch of little girls I hung out with back then...)
I do clearly remember that I was kind of being a jackass and standing up and dancing through most of the show, which got me yelled at by all the old people sitting behind me. As everyone knows, those old people who were all like "I was there in the 60's, man!" are the exact same fuckers who seem perfectly fine with paying $40 to rock out in a seated position.
I fucking hate hippies.
It was honestly a pretty exciting show. They opened this tour with a kind of heavy, plodding version of "Not Fade Away"...an odd choice, considering the frantic, nearly punkabilly interpretation they gave when they originally recorded it.
Highlights were "Money Man," which I'd never known them to play live), and "Shattered," which was great, except the rhythm section sort of fell apart during the bridge - something painfully evident in a bootleg of the concert I stumbled upon a few years later....
And then there was "Memory Motel," which was one of the single best performances of all the Stones shows I've ever seen. Jagger played piano, and the jumbotron shot him in a back and white split screen; half the screen was tight on his face, and the other half was grainy stock footage of run-down beach towns. It sounds corny as hell, but it worked. (Fuck you. I liked it).
Lowlights were the cover of "Can't Get Next to You" and a painful extended version of "Hot Stuff".  I love that band but some days they can't tell the shit from the peppercorns...

No comments: